April 8, 2015

Just like Mom's!

Finally, I got myself a good grain-free meatball recipe. I experimented with a couple recipes, but they've always come out dry. Then I tried this one using half ground turkey, and that was much better. People didn't like the flavor as much however (and the gravy was pretty much a disaster. Don't ask.), so today I tried to recreate the flavors of my Mom's recipe. Sans breadcrumbs of course. 

It worked!* 
 
I'd say that using a half beef and half turkey mix is the key to getting the best "normal" consistency.

Grain-free Meatballs
Makes about six dozen
 
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground turkey
2 eggs
2 T. coconut flour
1/2 c. chopped onion
2 t. dried parsley
1 1/2 t. salt

Set oven to 350. Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Using a cookie dough scoop (or your hands), shape meatballs and place in two 9x13 pans. Bake for 20 minutes, and continue with next batch.
 
*well, the meatballs did. The gravy failed again...it turned into a meatball soup, which was still tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment