April 10, 2014

Filling up my space.

"I am content to fill a little space if God be glorified." -Susannah Wesley

"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." -1 Corinthians 10:31


"Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in teaching; the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness." -Romans 12:6-8


I want to fill up my life's little space with things that will glorify God, bless others, and make beauty and happiness. Right now, my space consists (mainly) of family, school, and friends. How can I fill this space with something that will glorify God? I could be discouraged, because, since I'm just fourteen, I can't do anything "big" (become a missionary, open an orphanage). But is doing "big" things the only way to glorify God? Of course not! This seems like an obvious answer, and it is, but that doesn't keep me from forgetting it. Even the small, every day things can be a way to bring glory to God.


I have my own gifts, gifts that God Himself gave me, and I can use them. My gift may be in baking or being a help around the house. These little things can be a blessing, no matter how mundane they may seem. By baking muffins, I'm making my brothers happy. By cleaning up the kitchen, I'm making Mom happy and perhaps letting her have a little rest. This in turn can give me joy in knowing that I am serving others and making them happy. Being fourteen doesn't mean I cannot do things that will please my Creator. In offering to play a game with my younger brother, I am pleasing Him. In volunteering to do the hand dishes, I am glorifying Him. Every little deed or word can be something that will please Him.


It isn't just the big things like going overseas or working with charity (though these are good things) that are pleasing to the Lord. Completing the work set before us--whether it is school, preparing a meal, or doing yard work--with responsibility or cheerfulness is a simple way that we can bring glory to God through our day to day lives. Looking for ways to serve others with acts of love and service is something that's important and pleasing, too. So let's strive to fill our space with God-glorifying things, using the different gifts he has given us to the best of our ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment