April 2, 2014

Yumliciousness.

Besides "Deep Thoughts From Rachel" (wink, wink), I'll be sharing some recipes. This one is based off of a Colorful Eats recipe, here. It's completely fruit sweetened and makes a little less than six cups.

Fig Crunch*
4 c. of nuts (I used 3 1/2 cups almonds and pecans and 1/2 a cup walnuts)
1/2 c. shredded coconut (unsweetened)
4 T. applesauce**
1/2 c. coconut oil (melted)
1 t. cinnamon
1 T. vanilla extract
1 c. chopped dried figs (chop them fairly small)

Preheat oven to 300. Place all ingredients except figs in food processor. Give it a whiz until everything's combined and the nuts are the size you want (mine were pretty small). Stir in figs and spread onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake for 25 minutes. It wasn't quite crunchy enough for me, so I just let sit in the oven for a while. Take it out, let it cool, and then transfer to container. Store if refrigerator. 


*I call it crunch because it wasn't clumpy enough for what you call granola.

**if you're like me and don't check if you have everything before baking, here is a quick applesauce recipe, courtesy of my mom:

Take a few apples, peel and chop them into small pieces, and place in small pot. Put pot on medium heat and wait around for the apples to soften, stirring occaionally. If they are dry like mine were, add a little bit of water. When they are soft enough, mash with fork, and--ta da! You have your own homemade applesauce. 

Also, follow up on my last post. I said that I found peace in God because He knows my troubles. I realize it may have sounded odd after I wrote that I couldn't "just say, "Everything's all right, so stop moping and straighten up!" It may have sounded like that is what I meant by talking about this peace, but it's not. The truth of God's love gives comfort, peace, and hope as I--with God's help--resolve any troubles I may have. I can stop moping because I know that God hasn't abandoned me and it gives me strength and courage to go on, instead of feel sorry for myself, so my problem can be solved. End of explanation. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment